05 July 2011

Own the Night like the Fourth of July

My parents and brother were never huge into fireworks and then I married a man who felt just as underwhelmed. But I'm still spoiled. When my dad lived in DC, we sat on his roof deck to watch the fireworks. When we moved to VA, we walked down to the Iwo Jima memorial and picnicked. Once, when my family didn't want to do our normal walk down there, I huffed and puffed about the fact the fact that they were going to sit and watch the fireworks on TV when we have some of the best fireworks in the country and could go out and see them in person. My dad kindly drove a little ways and stopped in the middle of the road to see them (all traffic that can actually see the show comes to a stand-still and people get out of their cars). Another time when I couldn't convince them to go with me, I walked about five minutes from the house until I got a good view and stood there with some neighbors who had the same idea.

This year was similar. I convinced Jason at the last second to drive until we could see them. Slowly more and more people showed up at our spot - they had the same idea. Just keep driving until you get a good view! It only took us five minutes to find this view. I'm thankful to be so close to the city so that I can convince my less-than-excited family to go with me at the very last second. We were at the lake last year so great to see them in DC this year too. These were COOL fireworks - it's always a great show on the mall, but I was pretty impressed this year!



Someday I WILL go down to the mall.
Neither of us are huge crowd people and most say once is enough, but...
it's ridiculous that both of us have grown up here and have never done it.
Maybe next year?

*Yes, I continued with the Katy Perry themed titling. I have no shame.

2 comments:

  1. Kait! You're a firework!
    I'm glad you got to enjoy them. I'm all about holidays and any excuse to eat too much and watch fireworks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon enough you'll get to celebrate and enjoy July 4th in the USA too! :)

    ReplyDelete